I really enjoyed having free-range chickens. I really did not enjoy the poop on my back deck and patio table. So, a fence became a necessity if I was going to keep chickens 🙂
This project ended up costing a bit more than I wanted, but not because I didn’t have the materials. It’s because the husband wanted to build it a different way. I did have free t-post (thank you Deanna) and free fencing (thank you CL guy).
I found the most amazing deal on fencing. There was a guy who advertised 2×4 field fencing for free on CL. Basically, it was wrapped 2 high around a tennis court and he wanted the court gone. All we had to do was remove the fencing. We ended up with over 700 feet of 5′ tall field fencing for free. We only used a fraction of it for this project and we didn’t use the t-posts, so I’m thinking goats for another project 🙂
This project started with a trip to Lowes for pressure treated 2×4’s and 4×4’s, bags of concrete, screws, gate hardware, and plastic square netting. We also picked up my husband’s brother while we were out because of all the holes that needed dug (thank you Josh!).
Brush was cleared, rocks were raked (love Missouri rocks), holes were dug, 4×4’s were set, 2x4s were added to frame in the area.
Here’s what it looked like after day 1:
And after Day 2 (sorry about the blurry pic, I didn’t realize it was terrible until it was too late to take another):
After everything was framed in, the fencing was added using fencing staples. Oh, and the hubby built a lovely gate and a tin roof (tin roof was free courtesy of an old barn from CL) over part of the run for cover. I used a staple gun and zip ties to put the plastic fencing over the top of the whole run, making it flight proof! And I almost forgot, the plants in front of the coop were free from CL too! It’s called liarope, it spreads well, so it should fill in the front of the coop well. It’s a hardy perinnial with purple flowers. A lady decided she wanted to change landscaping, so they became mine!
I’m happy and the chickens are happy. Now, regarding money–we saved over $300 in fencing costs, but still spent a little more than $200 in the wood, concrete, and hardware. If we had used the t-posts, all we would have bought that I know of are clips to attach the fence to the t-posts. Overall, a darn good find on the fencing, especially since we can continue to use it for more animals and things.